Thursday, August 13, 2009

Loopholes

2 Timothy 4

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

As I seek to understand the Bible more, I continuously struggle with the meaning behind the words. Because it was written thousands of years ago, society as a whole is different, and as a result some passages can be taken out of context.

I think we as people do this more than we realize. Or maybe I’m just worse than most people, but I constantly look for- and often find- loopholes if you will that justify my actions. In fact, I’m know as one to push the envelope. If I have clear expectations and guidelines, I will follow them….most of the time. But if I think I can get away with something, yeah, I’ll do it.

What are the loopholes in our life we are seeking to find? Does going to church on Sunday make it ok to do whatever we want the rest of the week? Does tithing ten percent mean that we don’t have to spend as much time worshipping God?

The truth of the matter is, not matter what we do, God still loves us. At the end of the day, we are his children. Is he disappointed at times in our decisions? Oh yes. Does he wish for us to follow his word to the letter? You bet. But at the end of the day, we are his children and we have his love.


This week, let’s try to not find the loophole. Instead, seek to follow God’s word without exception. Am I going to mess up? Heck yes. But I know that his word sets forth the path which I am supposed to follow, and as long as it is in sight, I know that I am forever in God’s eyes.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- Psalms 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment