Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Seeking

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Deuteronomy 4:29

Little in our lives is simply by chance.  Every step, every breath, every mistake is part of God's perfect creation.  How often though do we go out searching, longing to find God?

Yesterday while I was at home I got to do something I used to despise doing.  Patch fence.  On our farm it seems like fence patching is an almost daily chore.  Where I used to hate it though, now I actually enjoy it.  It gives me time to think, to clear my thoughts, and most importantly, to admire God's perfect world.  So while I was patching fence I had my ipod going, and eventually it came to the end of the playlist.  Having my hands full, I continued working wishing something would break the silence.  About that time a breeze began turning an old windmill, with the fan blades clanking to keep me company.  I didn't go out searching for him, but God had found me in the big field next to the hay lot, and sent a little breeze to tell me he was there.

I think too often in life we think are alone in things.  A few weeks back as I as going through some of my own personal struggles I took the time to check my blood pressure- 180 over 90.  Way too high for anyone, most especially a 22 year old who goes to the gym 6 days a week.  It wasn't my lifestyle that was unhealthy, it was my stress level.  I had been keeping it bottled inside, killing myself in the process.  I realized I had to step away from the situation, turn it over to God, and move forward with my life.  You see, we are not alone in anything.  God is always there.  He's there in our parents for support.  He's there in our friends for advice.  He's there in our foes to challenge us.  He's there in our teachers to grow us.  He's there in nature to remind us of the marvels of his strength.  God is always there.

As I move back to school, I am going to make a conscious effort to seek out God in every aspect.  I am going to seek him in my relationships, strengthening friendships and working to build others up.  I am going to seek him in my schoolwork, imploring his wisdom to help me grow.  I am going to seek him in my health, turning my problems over to him, knowing he has all the answers.  I am going to seek God in other people, continuously looking for ways he is helping others to achieve his will.

I got a bit long winded this time, and I apologize.  But if we seek God in everything we do, we will not fail.  But if we fail to seek God in anything we do, we are guaranteed dissatisfaction.  Seek him first, and you will never know defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment